Weekend Do: Feathered Fowl Edition
June 10, 2011 § 15 Comments
I haven’t yet posted a Weekend Do edition and thought I’d write my first one on birds in honor of Pakou facing her fear of them in her last post. And as Portlandia pointed out, everything becomes way more hip if you put a bird on it. Thus, today will be my hippest post yet. Are you ready for hipsterness?
1. Do let your ears take flight (metaphorically, please) with my music playlist all about birds. Includes:
- Sparrow and the Wolf by James Vincent McMorrow
- Gather, Form, and Fly by Megafaun
- In Our Talons by Bowerbirds
- Parrots in the Tropical Trees by Breathe Owl Breathe
- Cage the Songbird by Low Anthem
2. Do observe how beautifully birds move, whether off your back porch or via these two dancers portraying a hummingbird and flower.
3. Do remember your literary birds. My favorite bird books are Mo Williams’ Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Lorrie Moore’s collection of tongue-in-cheek stories, Birds of America, Dashiell Hammet’s The Maltese Falcon (the originator of the hardboiled detective), and Anne Lamott’s inspiring Bird by Bird for writers.
“I do not know which to prefer,
The beauty of inflections
Or the beauty of innuendoes,
The blackbird whistling
Or just after.”
(from Wallace Stevens’ poem 13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird)
4. Do incorporate some bird decor into your living area. It’s essential. Go for pretty…
5. Do forget all about birds and sleep in or seriously relax this weekend.