What to Listen to after The Black Keys
May 14, 2012 § 1 Comment
I’m so excited to see The Black Keys in concert this week – I’ve been obsessing over their albums for a couple years. I love their good sound of blues/rock/grunge/soul or whatever it is that makes The Black Keys get into your bones and move you. Over time, I’ve found a few other bands whose music has the same effect. Check out the following for more of The Black Keys-esque goodness:
1. Gary Clark Jr. from Austin, Texas. Pure bliss.
2. The Kills with American singer Alison Mosshart and British guitarist Jamie Hince.
3. The Peach Kings, an up-and-coming band from LA. Download their EP The Trip Wop for free here.
4. Shovels and Ropes from South Carolina. I don’t like every song of theirs – sometimes they slide too much into country territory, but “Swing Low,” “Mother’s Scorn,” and “Hollowpoint Blues” are fantastic.
5. Black Motorcycle Rebel Club from San Francisco.
6. And of course, The Black Key’s precursor, Jack White. So glad he’s still making music though The White Stripes broke up last year. I can’t get enough of his SNL performance of “Love interruption.”
A nod to these soulful musicians.